Thursday, October 30, 2014

It's Halloween! Let's tell a scary story!

As a kid, these stories were super scary. Source: Wikipedia
In celebration of the holiday meant to scare* you, let's tell scary stories.

But I really don't have time to read novels. Let's make things interesting by having you tell a scary story in 140 characters - essentially writing a horror story in a tweet.

Difficult, right? Well, that's the point - it's a challenge! But let's be clear about some things: Make it scary, but don't make it crude or too macabre. Be creative and have some fun. And it must original!

Oh, did I mention that all responses get one homework extra credit point, while the winner - determined by me - gets five points? Yeah, that's a thing. And it's for the second quarter, not this one.

Reply below in the comment field by 11:59 pm on All Hallow's Eve (Oct. 31). Hopefully you made your identity your name so I can tell who you are. Good luck!

*So, to me, scary movies aren't scary. They're startling. The knife-wielding manic that jumps out of the bushes doesn't scare me; it startles me. I sense no fear from that.

Saw, Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street, and any of those "conjuring" or "exorcism" movies aren't scary because they do not create fear. There's anticipation, but no real fear or dread - at least in my opinion.

Scariest movie ever: Blair Witch Project. You never see a ghost, demon, or monster. The fear of the unknown. And seeing that guy standing in the corner at the end of the film? I was afraid to go into my room that night for fear of seeing someone standing in the corner. That's scary.

8 comments:

  1. Here is last year's winner: The voice wouldn't stop whispering in her ear. It wouldn't stop . She scratched Until
    It went away . Her ear laid on the floor

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is what my fiancé wrote: When Edna woke up she sensed that something was off. It wasn't the cloaked figure that stood over her nor the flickering light. It was time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wake up all alone and there is darkness around me. The phone rings and all I hear is static. Then, there was a voice that said "I am home."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Late at night, I heard knocking. I got up to check the front door.


    Then I heard my bathroom mirror shatter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I went to my Uncle's house.. They told me he was dead. I told them "No, he's not, I just met him on the way here."

    ReplyDelete
  7. I woke up and i heard someone screaming from the other room when I ran to check who it was, it was me

    ReplyDelete
  8. Scary Story?; A woman who has college debt, has no money, and doesn't have job either. Oh! and she has a child

    ReplyDelete